Apple: Cupertino, California — Apple today introduced an all-new iPad Air — the most powerful, versatile, and
I’m originally from Newfoundland, and fish cakes are a staple we grew up with alongside another traditional dish called fish and brews.
You can actually make this with just about any type of fish, but I prefer to use Cod, or Sole, as white fish tends to take on the flavours you cook it with.
What you need
- 1 ½ pounds salt dried cod
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 small chopped onion
- 6 cups mashed potato
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 tbsp dried savoury (optional)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
How to make it
- Simmer the cod in boiling water for about 15 minutes.
- Drain the water off the fish and allow the fish to cool to almost room temperature.
- When the fish is cool, flake it apart with a fork into small pieces.
- In a sauté pan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until they are softened.
- Add the flaked fish along with the mashed potato, egg, pepper, paprika, garlic and savoury.
- Mix together until well combined, then form into small cakes and roll in flour.
- Fry the fish cakes in canola oil over medium heat until golden brown on both sides.
This is a traditional way to make it, you can also add a little hot sauce into the mixture for flavour if you wanted to.