Slow Cooked Turkey Breast
Roger Stringer / December 22, 2016
2 min read • 15,246 views
It’s Christmas, and one favourite Christmas dish is turkey.
What you need
- 2 kg / 4 lb turkey breast, skin on, bone in or boneless
- 1 head of garlic, cut in half horizontally
- 1 onion (brown, yellow or white), unpeeled, cut in half
- 5 sprigs of thyme (or 2 tsp dried thyme leaves)
- 1.5 tsp garlic powder
- 1.5 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 5 grinds of black pepper
- 1.5 – 2 tbsp olive oil
- Chicken broth, for topping up liquid
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- Salt and pepper
How to make it
- Place Rub ingredients in a bowl and mix to combine, it should be a wet paste.
- Pat the turkey dry all over with paper towels.
- Cover turkey with the Rub, using most for the side and top.
- Place the garlic, onion and thyme in the slow cooker.
- Place the turkey breast on top so it is elevated.
- Cook on high for 1 hour
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- Remove turkey from the slow cooker and let it rest for 20 minutes before crisping the skin.
- Strain the liquid into a measuring cup, top up with chicken broth.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour and mix to combine. Pour about 1/2 cup of liquid into the flour mixture and mix until it forms a paste.
- Slowly add remaining liquid, stirring as your go.
- Use a whisk if required to make the gravy smooth.
- Simmer until thickened – take it off before it is as thick as you want because it will continue to thicken.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with turkey.
Crisp the Skin
If you want to make your turkey skin crispy, then follow this step after cooking it in the slow cooker
- Preheat grill broiler to high.
- Place an oven shelf 30 cm / 1 foot from the heat source.
- Remove turkey breast from the slow cooker into a heatproof serving dish.
- Place on the oven shelf and broil for 3 to 5 minutes until the skin is crispy.
- Serve immediately with gravy on the side.