Firecracker beef rice bowl
October 15, 2023
2 min read
what you need
- For the firecracker sauce:
- 4 tbsp sriracha.
- 2 tbsp honey.
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce.
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar.
- For the beef:
- Tbsp groundnut oil or any neutral oil.
- 1 onion - thinly sliced.
- 450g of lean beef stir fry strips
- 2 cloves of garlic - finely chopped.
- 10g of ginger - finely grates.
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced.
- Sesame seeds, to garnish.
- 4 spring onions, to garnish.
- 600g of cooked rice, 150g per serving.
- 150g of tenderstem broccoli - sliced.
How to make it
- Mix together the firecracker sauce in a medium sized bowl.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion, on medium heat, stirring regularly for five minutes until soft. Add the beef strips and cook for 5 minutes, until brown all over, breaking it up with a wooden spoon or spatula until there are no big lumps.
- Add the garlic, ginger, firecracker sauce and red chilli and stir to combine. Simmer the sauce until it has soaked completely into the beef mince. Cook for an extra 3-4 minutes on high heat, until the beef begins to turn crispy and caramelise. Don’t stir the beef too much at this point or the beef won’t have a chance to go crispy. Remove the beef strips from the pan.
- Add oil to in the same pan and cook the broccoli, on high heat, until charred and slightly soft, turning a few times.
- Serve the firecracker beef on white rice with the charred broccoli and garnish with sesame seeds and spring onion.