Apple EarPods were standard issue with iPhones released before the iPhone 7. So what happens when Apple releases a phone with no headphone jack? They release wireless headphones. Are the new Apple AirPods worth the wait? Only one way to find out. Ladies and gents, hold onto your headphones seats, it’s teardown time!
Alright, we’ve got Apple’s latest stocking stuffers on our teardown table, and it’s time to see what they’re made of. Here’s the scoop so far:
- Each AirPod weighs 0.14 oz (4 g), while the charging case weighs 1.34 oz (38 g)
- Each AirPod measures in at 0.65” × 0.71” × 1.59” (16.5 mm × 18.0 mm × 40.5 mm) while the charging case measures in at 1.74” × 0.84” × 2.11” (44.3 mm × 21.3 mm × 53.5 mm)
- Utilizes Bluetooth technology and Apple’s new W1 chip for wireless connectivity
- Uses microphones, optical sensors, and a motion accelerometer for in-ear detection
- Beamforming microphones are coupled with an additional accelerometer in order to filter out unwanted noise
- The AirPods alone can hold a charge up to 5 hours, while their charging case holds additional charge for up to 24 hours of listening time
Read the rest of the teardown, these are a pretty interesting set of wireless earbuds.