My daughter and I made this for dinner tonight and it was tasty.
One great thing with this dish is it’s easy to modify, swap the maple syrup for honey and you have a tasty honey lemon chicken dish, for example.
What you need
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound chicken thighs, cut into 2″ chunks
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
How you make it
- In a small bowl, whisk together the tomato paste, lemon juice, water, maple syrup and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Sprinkle the chicken pieces with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper and then dust with the flour.
- Heat a pan over medium heat until hot and then add the olive oil and garlic, swirling the oil and garlic around the pan. If you are using skinless chicken, add an extra teaspoon of olive oil.
- Add the chicken in a single layer and fry undisturbed until browned on one side (about 5 minutes). If the chicken starts spattering too much, remove the pan from the heat and use a paper towel and tongs to sop up some of the extra oil.
- Flip the chicken over and fry the second side until the chicken is mostly cooked through (another 3 minutes).
- Remove the pan from the heat and use paper towels to sop up as much oil as possible.
- Return the pan to the heat and add the sauce. Turn up the heat and cook the sauce down until there is almost no liquid remaining and the chicken is coated with a thick layer of glossy red sauce.