I previously posted a version of this recipe on FoodJumper a while back, but I felt like sharing it here as well as I’ve started modifying it again..
- 1 tablespoon Canola Oil
- 3 medium sized onions
- 1 cup Espresso or Regular Coffee
- 165 millilitres Cola
- Half a Chipotle Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon Ground Mustard Seed
- Pinch of ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 3 dashes of Worchester Sauce
- 500 millilitres ketchup
- Slice 3 medium sized onions into thin semi-circles.
- Get a medium sized pot on high heat and add Canola Oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the onions. Let them caramelize, stirring occasionally, until they reduce by half and turn a nice brown color. It will take approximately 20 minutes, and be patient – it’ll make all the difference.
- Once the onions are done, remove them from the heat and add the remaining ingredients: espresso, chipotle pepper, cayenne, cola, ground mustard seed, pepper, soy sauce, Worchester Sauce and ketchup. Mix them all together.
- Let the sauce simmer for 20-30 minutes on medium heat.
- I like this sauce nice and chunky, but if you want it to be a bit smoother, feel free to blend it with a hand blender or food processor.
- Pop it into an airtight container and it will keep in your fridge for a week.
Filed Under: Food