These lentil patties are delicious as well as healthy, and can be served as a burger on a whole grain bun, or as an entree with rice and some grilled veggies.
- 1 pound (1 1/2 cups) red lentils
- 5 cups water, salted
- 1 cup minced onion (1 medium)
- 1/2 cup minced carrot (1 large)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (2 cloves)
- Olive oil for the skillet
- 2 cups chopped crimini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup Japanese bread crumbs (panko)
- 4 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 10 ounces firm tofu, pureed in a blender
how to make it
- In a large pot, simmer the lentils in salted water until tender. Drain and cool.
- In a large skillet, sauté the onion, carrot and garlic in 1 teaspoon olive oil until tender, about 2 minutes
- Add the mushrooms, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until mushrooms are tender and liquid has evaporated, approximately 5 minutes, and allow to cool.
- Add the bread crumbs, lemon juice, pureed tofu, 2 tablespoons olive oil and cooked lentils and mix to combine. Transfer to a large bowl. Chill for 30 minutes and then shape into 8 patties.
- Pan fry in olive oil in a large skillet until each side is crisp and golden. Finish in a 350°F oven if necessary to heat through.
Filed Under: Food